VC, St. Patrick, St. Stephen set for Catholic Schools Week
Catholic Schools Week is set to begin Sunday and continue through Friday, Feb. 4, with activities to highlight the theme "Catholic Schools: Dividends For Life."
Catholic schools all around the world will join in the celebration, and St. Patrick in Franklin, St. Stephen in Oil City and Venango Catholic High School in Oil City will be active participants.
The week emphasizes the role of Catholic education in the lives of students and highlights the positive impact their faith has in their communities and the world. The "Dividends for Life" theme focuses on the faith, knowledge, morals and discipline of a Catholic education.
Venango Catholic will host events involving students from all three schools on Thursday, Feb. 4, and Friday, Feb. 5.
A prayer service with family entertainment, fellowship, refreshments and music will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 4, at VC. Parents of students from the three schools along with any other visitors are welcome to attend this event.
On Feb. 5, the students will gather at VC again for a daytime celebration featuring activities, games, music and prayer.
The Rev. Paul Siebert, a 1975 VC graduate, and The Feroz Brothers, also VC graduates, will entertain the students with their music at 11 a.m. The day will end with a Mass at 1 p.m. in the VC gym concelebrated by Siebert and the area's local priests.
The public is also invited to the events on Friday.
Here is a rundown of what is happening throughout the week at St. Patrick and St. Stephen:
St. Patrick students will be featured at the 10 a.m. Mass on Sunday at St. Patrick Church. A "school family" bowling outing is scheduled Sunday afternoon.
Monday will be pajama dressdown day for the students.
On Tuesday, the students will have a dress down day of their choice which may be "topped" off with a hat. Community members are invited to visit the classrooms at the school from 8:25 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday and observe what the students are learning. Refreshments will be available.
The students will have another dress down day Wednesday with a "clashing" theme.
Students will wear their favorite T-shirt or sweatshirt on Thursday. The annual students versus staff volleyball game will be played at 1:30 p.m. Thursday.
On Friday, St. Patrick students will join the community at a benefit soup dinner from 4 to 8 p.m. at First United Methodist Church in Franklin. Money raised at the dinner will go toward the Paul Richey Memorial Fund for the family of the Franklin state police trooper who was killed Jan. 13 in the line of duty.
Some of the activities next week at St. Stephen School will include a teacher appreciation day/lunch, making valentines for the local nursing homes, pajama day, bring a guest to lunch day, a cash booth in which students will be chosen to go into the booth and grab money, and guardian angel day.
In addition, the Crazy George Schauer basketball show will visit the school on Thursday. Crazy George is a former college and pro basketball player who has dedicated his life to motivating young people to never give up, respect their parents and teachers and live drug free.
Originally published in The Derrick January 28, 2010.
VC Featured in Faith Magazine
VC alumni Joseph Janidlo was part of a contingent of seminarians who served Mass with the Pope. Check out the Faith magazine article (pgs 10-12) here.
VC's website launch is featured in the Nov / Dec Faith Magazine! Check out the article on page 28.
- Margaret Feldman Writing Winners
- VC students to compete in state science competition
- VC inducts 14 into Honor Society
- More graduates, supporters share VC memories
- Special day at VC brings many memories, smiles
- Venango Catholic going strong at 50 while looking toward future
- 50 Year Celebration
- Vikings capture title
- OC man will be escort for Obama at Army-Navy game
- Lending some helping hands
- VC student wins Applefest logo contest
- Cranberry Festival king and queen announced
- VC headmaster leaves post with mixed emotions
- St. Joe's last graduating class to celebrate 50-year reunion
- St. Joe Class of '62 graduates share memories
- Class wants to greet other St. Joseph students at Friday get-together
- 30 graduate from VC
- Samantha Hugar Awarded the Egan Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Top students named at VC
- VC student named National Merit finalist
- Ex-Vikings star in rugby at Franciscan
- VCHS Names Prom King and Queen
- Venango Catholic High School Holds NHS Inductions
- Venango Catholic High School Prom Candidates
- Local teens put driving skills to test for big bucks
- Willy Wonka
- VC Students Attend Shakespeare Competition
- Venango Catholic Cheerleaders Visit Head Start Students
- VC 58, West Forest 51
- VC Students Participate in District Chorus
- Catholic Schools Week ends with events at VC
- VC Alum Awarded Third Prize in National Competition
- John Carroll honors former Viking Lutz
- Gearing up for Friends giveaway
- Venango Catholic math team finishes third in competition
- Four area stars make collegiate debuts
- Fryburg Naval commander writes from Arabian Sea
- Venango Catholic names homecoming king, queen
- Vikings clinch KSAC golf title
- Venango Catholic homecoming dance set Saturday
- Venango Catholic High School presented with U.S. Flag
- It's Back to the Books for Some
- VC graduate finds she has mission in life
- AC Scholar-Athlete-of-the-Month
- St. Joseph Class of 1961 holds 50-year reunion
- Hawkins takes top spot in tournament
- Hawkins takes first
- Ex-Viking Rynd to play hoops at the Rock
- Lutz earns academic honors
- VENANGO CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL AWARDED OVER $85,000 IN GRANT FUNDING
- VCHS Presents "Touchtone 'M' for Murder"
- Media Celebrity
- OC Kiwanis honors scholarship winners, Hugh O'Brian seminar participants
- 15 graduates receive diplomas at VC
- Venango Catholic names top students
- Venango Catholic National Honor Society Inductees
- VC academic team in Hometown High-Q semis
- Venango Catholic Students Participate in Wash Day
- Venango Catholic Crowns Prom King, Queen
- Fryburg native named commander of Carrier Strike Group Three
- Students do well at English festival
- St. Joseph announces Service Award recipients
- Students Compete, Win at Science Olympiad
- Vikings' Rynd named D-9 boys Player of the Year
- Local stars shine in Kozel all-star contests
- Final 2010-11 Area Girls Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Final 2010-11 Boys Basketball Scoring Leaders
- Former Marble man honored in special Mass
- The streak goes on
- Perfect to the Maxx
- ONE YEAR LATER, VC ALUM RECALLS SERVING MASS FOR THE POPE
- VC CHEERLEADERS TALK TO STUDENTS ABOUT ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION
- Vikings stay perfect
- Venango Catholic remains undefeated
- Big game dream come true for Packers fans in Steelers country
- STEELERS TOUCH DOWN IN DALLAS
- Vikings slip past Lions
- 17 VC students attend March for Life
- Good Luck Vikings
- Several area players earn all-state honors
- Vikings ground Falcons
- Venango Catholic advances in KDKA High-Q event
- VC math team places fifth in competition
- AP SCHOLARS
- Friends for Food passes $36,000 mark
- Right on target
- Venango Catholic marks anniversary of predecessor
- VC graduate returns from Iraq deployment
- Venango Catholic Names Homecoming King, Queen
- Venango Catholic launches new website
- Vikings open with pair of victories
- VC grad completes sub-internship at Cleveland medical facility
- Oil City native receives business award from San Antonio chamber
- 19 receive diplomas at Venango Catholic graduation
- Pragle, Hesdon head KSAC teams
- Ex-Viking Lutz honored
- OC woman elected to student position for physicians group
- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark visits school
- Venango Catholic High School Receives IT KickStart Grant
- VC student accepts appointment to West Point
- OC girl to get Girl Scout Gold Award
- Rynd surpasses 1,000-point mark
- VC, St. Patrick, St. Stephen set for Catholic Schools Week
- Ex-Viking DeLaney places at Bucknell